Top tips to avoid back pain this Christmas
As we approach the Christmas season, you’d be surprised how many people hurt their back over the festive period!
Did you know… There is an increase in patients coming into the clinic with backaches and pains that have appeared during the Christmas period.
In fact… There are many ways you could hurt your back at Christmas. Bending and lifting heavy items like Christmas trees, furniture or even the turkey can easily strain your back or exacerbate existing aches and pains. Also we do tend to sit a lot more at Christmas, catching up with family, watching films on those dark nights. It’s so important to keep active.
If you do hurt your back or neck during the holidays, your first thought might be to put your feet up on the sofa and watch some festive films and wait till the pain disappears.
But remember… Although this may seem like the obvious option, it is much more beneficial for your back to keep your muscles moving.
Here are our top tips to avoid back pain at Christmas:
- If you’re lifting heavy or awkward objects like the Christmas tree or furniture, always ask for help.
- When you’re putting up decorations, use a step or a ladder to avoid over stretching or straining your back or neck.
- Make sure you go for regular walks over the holidays. Keeping active is a great way to keep your spine healthy.
- Try and wrap presents up over a few days rather than all at once. If you spend too much time in one position that’s when you could get pain.
- Make sure you make time for yourself to relax. Christmas can be a very stressful time, and this can also lead to a lot of muscle tension so finding some time to relax and listen to a meditation can be just what you need.
- Why not book in a relaxing massage over the Christmas period to stop any muscle tightness building up?
5.0 186 reviews
2 months ago
I have been meaning to do this for a while. I would highly recommend Attend2Health in Buntingford. All of the staff I have … More met are professional, caring and friendly. I have arthritis in my neck and was suffering with pain. I went to see Ginelle in June 2023 and have been regularly seeing her since then. She corrects the alignment of my spine, deep massages the muscles and straps me up - ready to take on the world again! I would highly recommend Ginelle if you are in need of an osteopath.
a month ago
I was recommended to go to Attend2Health in Buntingford a few years ago. The first time I went I saw Daisey , recently I … More have been seeing Megan. Megn is very friendly , professional and informative lady if I have a question she always gives me advice ,and is through in the treatment I receive from her. The whole atmosphere is very pleasant the receptions are also very friendly. I would definately recommend Attend2Health.
5 months ago
Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. My neck and shoulders are feeling a lot better after 2 sessions with Oli, he has … More been so knowledgeable and friendly. Thank you