How to look after your back in the garden
Starting work in the garden? – here’s some tips to help your back
Winter hibernation is coming to an end and many will be starting to think about Spring gardening jobs. It’s great to get outdoors and blow the cobwebs away but take care of your back with our great advice.
– Don’t wear clothes that are tight or could constrict your movement.
– Gardening is like any other exercise; you need to warm up first. Don’t go straight into the heavy work; start off with lighter jobs as this will lessen the chance of muscle strain.
Take a break
– Vary your activity by spending no more than 20-30 minutes on any one thing and make sure you take regular breaks.
Clever spring pruning
– Get as close as possible to the things you are pruning and avoid overstretching to reach the area you are dealing with.
– Invest in some long handled secateurs to reach plants and bushes that are beyond normal reach.
– If you are planning a trip to the local garden centre store to buy heavy items such as compost, buy smaller bags rather than one big bag as they are easier and safer to carry. Better still, have it delivered direct to your home.
– Don’t lift with your arms straight out, keep the elbows bent and to your side to minimise the stress on your back.
– If having items delivered, have them unloaded as close to where you need them as possible; this will save the effort of moving them again.
– A specialist garden trolley might be worth investing in to move these sorts of materials around, especially if you have lots of patio pots to move around as well.
If you do start to suffer from back pain – book a free 15 minute chat with one of our practitioners and they can let you know if it is just an ache which will go after a day or two or whether any treatment maybe needed to help it. Don’t suffer in pain call 01763 87 80 87.
5.0 137 reviews
2 months ago
Excellent service from the minute I walked through the door. Always greeted with a smile. My chiropractor Adrian is brilliant. … More Can't recommend this place enough.
5 months ago
Daisy was amazing! Had my first treatment the other day and have been in severe pain with my back after going in and having … More treatment I was pain free for days for the first time in about 6 months definitely will be going back and highly recommend daisy and clinic she took time to find out all about me and what I wanted to achieve...it was amazing ...first class worth every penny! .
a week ago
Very professional practitioners and a very reasonable price too